Updated: Jul 18, 2020
Do not pay heed to these coronavirus (COVID -19) rumors that you might hear every now and then from your friends or relatives over telephone or via social media. In these tough times always keep your eyes and mind open. Following are the top five rumors regarding COVID19:
1. TAKING ANTIBIOTICS – Nooo! Antibiotics have nothing to do with viruses. If you feel like taking antibiotics will protect you from coronavirus, you are living in a fool’s paradise. It’s corona virus. I repeat, corona VIRUS. It’s a viral disease. Antibiotics are supposed to work against BACTERIA.
P.S. – You may develop bacterial co-infection if you become ill with COVID-19 and in that case doctors can prescribe antibiotics.
2. DRINKING ALCOHOL – Come on! Forget about destroying the virus, drinking alcohol will further increase the risk if you are already COVID positive. Alcohol (with at least 60% concentration by volume) works as a disinfectant when you use it on your skin but it’s not going to help you anyway if it goes inside your body.
3. THERMAL SCANNERS – Thermal scanners are used to detect your body temperature and they cannot detect COVID-19. The thermal imaging cameras in the scanners transform the thermal energy i.e. the heat of your body into visible light in order to analyze the temperature of your body. If your temperature is high that means you have fever and there are many causes of fever. It can be from dengue, it can be from malaria as well. But since fever is one of the symptoms of COVID 19, thermal checking is done as a precautionary measure. Whether you are infected with COVID 19 or not can only be indentified after proper testing.
4. SPRAYING OR INTRODUCING BLEACH OR ANY OTHER DISINFECTANTS INTO YOUR BODY – Bleach or any other disinfectants are for killing bacteria and virus on the surfaces. Drinking or spraying these on your body will not protect you from COVID-19 rather these are extremely dangerous for your health. Spraying these on your body can cause irritation to your skin and your eyes. Drinking these can damage your organs and in many cases can cause your death.
5. HOT WEATHER – You can neither cure nor prevent yourself from COVID-19 by exposing yourself to hot or sunny weather. Thinking of exposing yourself to the Sun? Do it. But don’t expect COVID-19 to run away from your body (if you have it) or stay away from your body. Countries with hot weather also reported COVID-19 cases.
WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY
AVOID TOUCHING YOUR EYES, NOSE AND MOUTH WHEN OUTSIDE
MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING
STAY INFORMED, STAY SAFE.